Outstanding School Delegation Honor Issued to Fulton Science Academy Private School!
Fulton Science Academy Private School (FSAPS) received the prestigious “Outstanding School Delegation Award” at the Coastal Georgia Model UN Competition held this week in Savannah, GA. This top honor reflects the school’s exceptional performance among more than 14 competing schools.
Model United Nations, also known as Model UN or MUN, is an educational simulation and/or academic competition in which students can learn about diplomacy, international relations, and the United Nations. MUN involves and teaches researching, public speaking, debating, and writing skills, in addition to critical thinking, teamwork, and leadership abilities.
Participants in Model United Nations conferences, known as delegates, are placed in committees and assigned countries, or occasionally other organizations or political figures, where they represent members of that body. They are presented with their assignments in advance, along with a topic or topics that their committee will discuss. Delegates conduct research before conferences and formulate positions that they will then debate with their fellow delegates in the committee, staying true to the actual position of the member they represent. At the end of a conference, the best-performing delegates in each committee, as well as delegations, are sometimes recognized with awards. Fulton Science Academy’s Outstanding School Delegation Award is the equivalent to winning first place.*
Michelle Campbell, Assistant Principal at Fulton Science Academy and one of the school’s MUN coaches said, “What a thrill for our team; we are so proud of our students. It is true that Fulton Science Academy is highly accomplished with our math and science teams, but this prestigious award shows our strength in other areas as well. Team members worked so hard researching their positions as well as their proposed resolutions. Their dedication clearly paid off and will pave the way towards our upcoming trip to New York later this spring when we look forward to competing in the national competition.”
In addition to the school’s overall honor, FSA student participants also received many awards of distinction. Individual awards include:
· Nish Arumugam representing Saudia Arabia in the General Assembly received Honorable Mention;
· Akshay Maharaj representing Saudia Arabia in the General Assembly received Honorable Mention;
· Pratik Patel representing Algeria in the HRC received Honorable Mention;
· Neharika Marupudi representing Cuba in the HRC received Honorable Mention;
· Mario Machado representing South Africa in the AU received Honorable Mention;
· Ameya Rekapalli representing Syria in the GA received Honorable Mention;
· Radeen Dixon representing Saudia Arabia in the OIC received Distinguished Delegate;
· Ved Rao representing Tunisia in the OIC received Distinguished Delegate;
· Sid Thatipamula representing Algeria in the OIC received Distinguished Delegate;
· Arham Alam representing Russian Federation in the Security Council received Distinguished Delegate;
· Krishna Patel representing Algeria in the AU received Distinguished Delegate;
· Nikita Roy representing Russian Federation in the HRC received Distinguished Delegate; and
· Shriya Gupta representing Saudia Arabia in the HRC received Outstanding Delegate.
*Portions of this release that describe MUN were reprinted from Wikipedia.